Gualtiero Marchesi Kitchen Knives Set is part of Grandi Passioni collection, made by Coltellerie Berti. Gualtiero Marchesi’s cutlery is a perfect synthesis of functionality, style and high craftsmanship made of premium stainless-and-carbon steel sharpened by hand using methods that an age-old tradition has forged.
The Berti Trousse contains 6 different knives, made in Stainless steel X50CrMoV15 with black Lucite handle:
- 36.5cm/9.3” chef’s knife
- 39cm/15.3” slicing knife
- 36cm/14.2” bread knife
- 29cm/11.4” boning knife
- 29cm/11.4” vegetable knife
- 23cm/9” paring knife
At Coltellerie Berti, each knife is made by the hands of one craftsman only, the same person. The person who starts a knife, finishes and signs it with his initials. This is the essence of the Craftsmanship Method of the Italian Berti Family, which since 1895 has been keeping up the true joy of owning a knife made by hand following the most authentic Tuscan tradition (Scarperia district).
Technical Features of Coltellerie Berti knives:
- They may be forged (plastic processing under heat) or laser cut (cold cutting of the blade) but the blades are always a single piece
- The steel used is made in Germany (X50CrMoV15 by Krupp) and has a high carbon content, conferring a high cutting capacity and duration. The steel used to make high quality knives is not 100 % stainless, since perfect stainlessness diminishes cutting capacity. This is stainless steel which can be washed, even in a washing machine, but it can be stained. The best way to keep them perfect is washing by hand followed by immediate drying.
- Tempering involves both heating at 1055 °C and super-cooling at -80 ° C to ensure that the cutting capacity lasts the longest possible time.
- Handles are made of natural materials – horn or boxwood – or else of plastic. Plastic materials however are hand processed from a slab and not moulded.